Real Estate in Delia, Alberta
Learn More About Delia, Alberta
Delia is a village in southern Alberta, located approximately 45 km (28 mi) northeast of Drumheller, 1.6 km (0.99 mi) south of Highway 9. It is named for Delia Davis, wife of Alvin L. Davis, a local merchant, and was originally known as the Village of Highland between 1914 and 1915, though the post office was called Delia from its inception in 1912.
In 1920, Delia became the first community in Alberta to be governed by a female reeve, Violet Barss. She was selected and appointed internally by her colleagues on the village council, not directly elected to the position by the voters.