Real Estate in Empress, Alberta
Learn More About Empress, Alberta
Empress is a village located along the Alberta/Saskatchewan border; in southern Alberta 121 kilometres (75 mi) north of Medicine Hat. The town was named, in 1913, for Queen Victoria, who was also Empress of India. In the past it was known as the "Hub of the West", connecting major cities together by the Canadian Pacific Railway.
It is located at the confluence of Red Deer River and South Saskatchewan River, at an elevation of 650 metres (2,130 ft). It is connected to Buffalo Trail by Highway 899 and Highway 562.