Real Estate in Gaultois, Newfoundland and Labrador
Learn More About Gaultois, Newfoundland and Labrador
Gaultois is a small settlement in the Coast of Bays area in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Gaultois has a population of 168 people as of 2013. The town has a K-12 school called Victoria Academy, as well as a fire department, public library, Lion's Club, and town hall. The town is only accessible by ferry or helicopter. The ferry runs from the nearby town of Hermitage several times daily and the crossing takes approximately 20 minutes. This ferry also services the more remote community of McCallum once to twice daily with a crossing time of around one hour and fifteen minutes.
Before confederation with Canada in 1949, Gaultois was the customs town for those wishing to travel to the islands of Saint Pierre and Miquelon. Prior to resettlement, the population had declined to 107 in 1956 from a peak of 252 five years earlier. After resettlement in 1966 Gaultos population rose to 594 with the fish plant and its draggers as the main employer of the town. The first Waymaster in 1877, was Richard Bradshaw.
Though small, Gaultois has four distinct areas:
The Rooms near the wharf where, traditionally salt fish was dried for market, on flakes
The Valley up the hill a little glen surrounded by hi rock faces home to a bout 10 homes
The Point across the harbour from the rooms. The most populated part of town. The point and the rooms are joined by a wooden boardwalk at the base of the rock face
The Bottom Up the hill and down the other side from the point. The most isolated part of town.