Real Estate in Tweed, Ontario
Learn More About Tweed, Ontario
This page is about the Municipality of Tweed, for the village see Tweed, Ontario (village).
Tweed is a municipality and a village located in central-eastern Ontario, Canada, in Hastings County.
The Municipality of Tweed is an amalgamated municipality comprising the former Village of Tweed and the former Townships of Hungerford and Elzevir & Grimsthorpe. The Municipality was incorporated on January 1, 1998, as a lower tier municipality within the County of Hastings two tier governing system.
As of 2004, the total land area was approximately 230,000 acres (930 km²), 30% of which was Crown land. Lakes, rivers and streams account for approximately 4,650 acres (18 km²). There are approximately 600 kilometres (370 mi) of roads throughout the Municipality. The total 2004 property assessment for the Municipality of Tweed was $309,000,000. Its composition was 84% residential, 7% farm, 6% commercial and industrial, and 3% other categories.
Stoco Lake, a part of the Moira River system which borders the town of Tweed, is home to a popular and uncommon sport-fish, the muskellunge or Muskie (Esox masquinongy). The Black River joins the Moira River near the Village of Tweed.
The Canadian Pacific Railway's Havelock Subdivision passed through Tweed to Glen Tay and Smith Falls from the 1880s until the line was abandoned from Glen Tay to Tweed in 1973 then Tweed to Havelock in 1987. A more westerly portion of the line still runs through Peterborough. A Napanee, Tamworth and Quebec Railway (later the Bay of Quinte Railway) had a spur from Tamworth, Ontario to Tweed; the Tweed-Yarker and Tweed-Bannockburn segments were abandoned by 1941 and the former Napanee-Smiths Falls mainline abandoned in the late 1970s.