Real Estate in Tignish, Prince Edward Island
Learn More About Tignish, Prince Edward Island
Tignish is a town in Prince Edward Island, Canada. It is located approximately 50 miles (80 km) northwest of Summerside, and 90 miles (140 km) northwest of Charlottetown. It has a population of 719. The name "Tignish" is derived from the Mi'kmaq "Mtagunich", meaning "paddle".
Tignish was founded in the late 1790s by nine francophone Acadian families, with further immigrants (mostly Irish) arriving in the 19th century and settling mostly in the nearby smaller locality of Anglo–Tignish (meaning "English Tignish"). Many of Tignish residents today are either of Acadian or Irish heritage.
One of the community's most popular and defining structures is the local Catholic church, St. Simon & St. Jude Catholic Church, which was among the first major structures built in Tignish, constructed between 1857 and 1860. Tignish was designated a community or village in 1952. It changed to town status in 2017, making it the province's northernmost town.