Real Estate in Canora, Saskatchewan
Learn More About Canora, Saskatchewan
Canora is located at the junction of highways No. 5 and 9 in east central Saskatchewan.
Centrally located on the corners of four adjacent rural municipalities, the community is home to approximately 2,200 residents and draws upon a substantial trading area. Canora's name comes from the first two letters of the words "Canadian Northern Railway", as the original village was incorporated in 1905 around a station of the Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR). (A school in the village of West Jasper Place, Alberta, was named in the same way in 1948, with that name adopted by the surrounding neighbourhood of Canora, Edmonton.)
The CNoR was one of the companies that evolved into the Canadian National Railway Company (CN), and the CN freight line still runs through Canora. The Canora railway station, on the CN line, is served by Via Rail on its passenger service from Winnipeg to Churchill, Manitoba.